Sunday, July 8, 2012

Mother to Robot...

Drake looked up and I saw a sight I’ll never forget.  It was the eye of a snake. A bright, blood-red eye.  It was angry and fierce - it was ready to fight. It was raging and it looked like it was going to bite, but wait - it was my son, not a snake.
It was his eye and it was getting red uncontrollably fast. I swooped him up like a mother bird would to protect her young and rushed him to his Father. His first response was it’s a scratch, until a second look less than 30 seconds later - his eye was black. “I’m taking him to the ER,” I told our family. I grabbed his Aunt and said come with me, put him in the car and drove like a Nascar driver down a long twisted road to get out of the canyon. My heart was racing. My mind was still.  I was so full of questions? How did this happen? Is he going to be blind? I found myself having to stay extremely calm. I reflected back to a previous conversation I had once had with someone years ago.  “What’s the first thing they tell you on an airplane, Amy? You know, in case of an accident?” I responded, “Well I hate that part, but put your oxygen mask on before assisting others, including children. " My mask was on I had become a robot again. That mask was the only thing keeping me from freaking out and driving out of control.   I had to keep it together. I couldn’t let him see or sense the fear I was experiencing.  I went into shock.  I text my Father:  “ER CALL ME.” The phone rang, I broke the news. I drove fast. I briefly thought, what about a cop? Forget the cop, he can leave a ticket on my windshield for all I care. I’m getting my son to the ER and nothing is getting in the way of Momma Bear!

No comments:

Post a Comment